The Price of Nostalgia: A Reflection on Inflation and the Changing Times

The Price of Nostalgia: A Reflection on Inflation and the Changing Times
 
Twenty years ago, the aroma of freshly grilled burgers and the comforting clatter of a cash register were the soundtrack to my evenings. As a part-time cashier at Wendy's in Glorietta 4 Cinema, Philippines, my world revolved around the familiar scent of fries and the satisfying crunch of a perfectly-made chicken sandwich. While my college classes occupied my days, Wendy's provided a haven for my evenings, a place where I could earn a little extra and indulge in a simple, affordable meal.
 
My go-to was the macaroni side salad. At just 23 pesos, less the employee discount, it was a filling and satisfying meal that sustained me through my five-hour shifts. The creamy blend of macaroni, vegetables, and thousand island dressing was a comforting symphony of flavors that I savored with every bite. It was a reminder of the simple pleasures of life, a time when a modest sum could provide a satisfying meal and a sense of contentment.
 
Fast forward to today, and I find myself revisiting Wendy's, this time in the Anabu branch of Cavite. Driven by a wave of nostalgia, I ordered the macaroni side salad, eager to relive the familiar taste of my past. However, the reality of the present hit me with a jolt. The price tag, a stark 76 pesos, was a stark reminder of the relentless march of time and the ever-increasing cost of living.
 
A 47-peso difference, a seemingly small amount, felt like a chasm between the past and the present. It sparked a reflection on inflation, its impact on our daily lives, and the ever-changing landscape of our economic reality.
 
While the price increase might be justified by factors like rising food costs, rent, and labor expenses, it raises a crucial question: how much is too much? How do we reconcile the need for businesses to remain profitable with the realities of a struggling population?
 
The price of a simple side salad is a microcosm of a larger societal issue. It reflects the growing disparity between the cost of basic necessities and the financial capabilities of many. It begs the question: are we headed towards a future where even the most basic meals become a luxury?
 
As I savored the familiar taste of the macaroni salad, I couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness. The simple joy of a filling meal, a memory of a simpler time, was now tinged with a sense of unease. It was a reminder of how much has changed, not just in the price of a side salad, but in the very fabric of our lives.
 
Perhaps it's time to re-evaluate our priorities, to find ways to bridge the gap between the increasing cost of living and the financial realities of many. It's a call to action, a reminder that while we may not be able to turn back the clock, we can choose to build a future where everyone has access to the basic necessities of life, including a simple, satisfying meal.

Sam @ Imus Cavite Sept 2024

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Navigating the Balance: Trusting Your Mind while Embracing the Power of Dreams and Capabilities

Dream - Tayabas 2024 - 03-20-2024

Dream - Quezon 2024 - 03-04-2024