The struggle of a Millennial


When I was a child, I had big dreams of success. I imagined living in a large house, driving a sports car, marrying a beautiful spouse, having wonderful children, and exploring the world. However, as time went on, my dreams didn't quite materialize. I still live with my parents, commute to work, remain single, and travel locally. Many people my age, especially millennials, face similar challenges. We are often accused of being lazy and aimless, but in reality, we are just being practical.

Despite living with my parents, I consider myself independent because I have a stable job and contribute to rent. Our parents and older generations are often bound by the idea of the "American dream." But what does that really mean? Is it about being burdened with a lifelong mortgage? Is it about working the same job just to put food on the table? Is it about marrying someone solely for the sake of having a caregiver in old age? These notions, though cliché, don't define success for me. True success lies in standing on your own, accepting your flaws, and living life on your own terms.

They say we only live once, and we must learn to embrace it. We don't need to conform to societal expectations. Instead, we should follow our hearts and minds, pursuing what truly brings us joy. When I feel down and question my own success and fulfillment, I remind myself of the positive experiences I've had. Why should I worry about life? What's wrong with living with my parents or being single? What's wrong if I haven't traveled the world yet? I need to be grateful for being alive. When I shift my mindset to a positive one, I remember the times I've traveled to different countries, made new friends, enjoyed meals at nice restaurants, and treated my loved ones.

Now, let's return to reality. One thing we should avoid is overthinking, criticizing ourselves, and meddling in other people's affairs. We can't force ourselves to be as successful as others because we all have different stories. You might say it's easy for me to say this because I'm not in your shoes. However, consider that there are people in the world facing even bigger problems than you are. We often strive for perfection without appreciating the positive aspects of life. Instead of focusing on negativity and frustrations, let's concentrate on the brighter side of things. When we do that, everything will fall into place. Remember, living starts with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dream - Quezon 2024 - 03-04-2024

Dream - Quezon 2023 - 02-25-2024

The Joy of Receiving a Balikbayan Box: A Meaningful Blessing